At the Texas Legislature
At Every Texan, we believe in a Texas that offers everyone the chance to compete and succeed in life. Legislative advocacy is one important way we use data and analysis to enable Texans of all backgrounds to reach their full potential.
Our bold, research-driven legislative priorities dare Texas leaders to make Texas the best state for hard-working people and their families.
Our Top 5 Priorities
Here is how Texas lawmakers can prioritize the needs of our communities this session:
- Use the Economic Stabilization Fund (Rainy Day Fund), an estimated $11.6 billion in resources, as it was intended — to avoid cuts to education, health care and other services essential to the livelihood of Texans in times like these.
- Accept Medicaid expansion for as many as (or, “an estimated”) 2 million low-wage or newly uninsured Texans: janitors, cashiers, cooks, home health aides, waitresses, grocery stockers, delivery workers, child care staff, construction workers, etc.
- Do not reauthorize the massive school property tax giveaway program, known as “Chapter 313,” that gives corporations unnecessary tax breaks. Use that revenue instead for public schools, health care and higher education.
- Reform unemployment insurance to make sure benefits are adequate and that the insurance system does not put unnecessary hurdles in Texans’ way.
- Expand affordable access to college by protecting and increasing investment in need-based financial aid programs.
Meet Our Staff
We deliver credible data and policy solutions. Research, data and fact-based policy analysis remain our chips and salsa. State lawmakers and their staff members rely on Every Texan for clear, accurate numbers and solutions as they tackle challenges in our communities.
We provide advocacy tools that empower people and lawmakers. We are expanding our capabilities to better support our partners in the advocacy community, using more digital tools to activate Texans from all backgrounds to participate in the policymaking process.